Terms of Reference of the Moon Sighting Committee
- To draw up standard criteria for moon-sighting in Nigeria based on the Shariah.
- To harmonize the Shariah and scientific methods of moon-sighting with a view to making a credible announcement of the commencement and termination of each lunar month.
- To facilitate the setting up of observatory sighting posts in strategic areas across the country.
- To identify the most effective state- of-the-art moon-sighting equipment for the Moon- Sighting Committee and recommend to GPC it's procurement.
- To create in-depth awareness of the movement of the moon through sensitization, enlightenment and information dissemination to the general public and the Muslim Ummah in particular.
- To collaborate with the Media Committee of NSCIA in organizing periodic seminar, workshop and conference on moon-sighting in Nigeria.
- To collate and harmonize the results of the different moon-sighting committees in the country and make monthly announcement of the commencement and termination of each lunar month through the Office of the President-General, NSCIA and the Media Committee.
- To network and collaborate with similar national and international bodies in actualizing the goals of the Committee.
- To assist new and existing mosques in locating the correct Qiblah and how to rectify in areas where errors of Qiblah locations are observed.
- To sensitize and educate Muslims and the general public on the dynamics of prayer times which are influenced by changes in the weather seasons.
- In collaboration with the NSCIA Media Committee, to advise both the electronic and print media organizations periodically on the release of prayer timing in Nigeria.
- To consider any other issues related to Moon-sighting, Salat timing and Qiblah finding among others as may be deemed fit from time to time.
Moon Sighting Committee