Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is reported to have said: "Commence fasting when you sight the (Ramadan) crescent and terminate fasting when you sight the (Shawwal) crescent. But if the sky is cloudy, then, count 30 days of Sha'ban or of Ramadan as the case may be". Therefore, in accordance with the Prophetic tradition, Muslims all over Nigeria are hereby urged to look for the new crescent of Shawwal on Wednesday, August, 7th 2013 CE (which corresponds to 29th day of Ramadan, 1434 AH).
To this effect, members of the national Moon Sighting Committee have been deployed with appropriate gadgets to various parts of the country for easy sighting of the moon.
However, other individuals who are able to sight the crescent are requested to contact, through appropriate authorities, any of the following:
- The President-General of NSCIA and the Sultan of Sokoto Tel: 08036470422
- The Deputy President-General (North) of the NSCIA and the Shehu of Borno
- The Deputy President-General (South) of the NSCIA and Aare Musulumi of Yoruba Land Tel: 08027780076
- The Emir of Gwandu and all other Emirs
- The Lamido of Adamawa
- The Esu Nupe
- The Otaru of Auchi
- The Deputy Secretary-General (South) of NSCIA (Sheikh Adam Idoko) Tel: 08036759892
- The President of the League of Imams and Alfas in Yoruba Land: Chief Imam of Osogbo
- The Baba Adini of Lagos, Sheikh Hafiz Abou and
- The Chairman, National Moon Sighting Committee, Dr. Hafis Wali Tel: 08036009090
Where the authorities are satisfied that the crescent has been duly sighted, The President-General and Sultan of Sokoto would announce the termination of Ramadan Fast and the observance of Eid-el-Fitr Prayer the following day, that is Thursday August 8th, 2013. In the event of the moon not being sighted on Wednesday 7th August, 2013, the Eid-el-Fitr Prayer shall be observed on Friday, 9th of August, 2013.
While reminding the Ummah of the necessity of paying Zakatul Fitr with the intention of lifting the hearts of the indigent members of the community, the NSCIA felicitates with Nigerian Muslim Ummah on the completion of this year's Ramadan Fast, wishing them abundant blessings from Allah. It urges them to continue to pray for the peaceful co-existence of all Nigerians and keep the valued lessons and gains of the sacred month as spiritual guide against current provocative utterances from certain quarters that may lead to iniquities.
All media houses in the country are kindly requested to promptly publicise any announcement by His Eminence the President-General of the NSCIA and the Sultan of Sokoto.