COMMENCEMENT OF RAMADAN FAST 1435 AH/2014 OF THE CHRISTIAN ERA (CE)
Prophet Muhammad (SAW) is reported to have said:
“Commence fasting when you sight the (Ramadan) crescent and terminate fasting when you sight the (Shawwal) crescent. But if the sky is cloudy, then, count 30 days of Sha‘ban or of Ramadan as the case may be”.
Therefore, in accordance with the Prophetic tradition, Muslims all over Nigeria are hereby urged to look for the new crescent of Ramadan on Friday, June 27 2014CE which corresponds to 29th day of Sha‘ban, 1435AH.
To this effect, members of the National Moon Sighting Committee have been deployed with appropriate gadgets to various parts of the country for easy sighting of the moon. However, other individuals who are able to sight the crescent are requested to contact, through appropriate authorities, any of the following:
- The President-General of NSCIA and the Sultan of Sokoto - Tel: 08036470422
- The Deputy President-General (North) of the NSCIA and the Shehu of Borno Tel: 08037855555, 08023549558
- The Secretary – General Tel: 08034540120
- The Emir of Gwandu and all other Emirs Tel: 08036154369
- The Lamido of Adamawa Tel: 07056344449
- The Etsu Nupe Tel: 08039668707
- The Otaru of Auchi Tel: 08033892928
- The Deputy Secretary-General (North) of NSCIA (Prof. Tijani El-Miskin) Tel: 08023577013
- The Deputy Secretary-General (South) of NSCIA (Sheikh Adam Idoko) Tel: 08036759892
- The President of the League of Imams and Alfas in Yoruba Land: Chief Imam of Osogbo Tel: 08035740333
- The Baba Adini of Lagos, Sheikh Hafiz Abou Tel: 08037273382 and
- The Chairman, National Moon Sighting Committee, Dr. Hafis Wali Tel: 08036009090, 08023037478
Where the authorities are satisfied that the crescent has been duly sighted, The President-General and Sultan of Sokoto would announce the commencement of the fast. However, if the crescent is not sighted on Friday, the Tarawih prayer should be observed on Saturday the 28th of June for the commencement of Ramadan on the 29th of June whether or not it is sighted on that Saturday.
All media houses in the country are kindly requested to promptly publicise any announcement by His Eminence the President-General of the NSCIA and the Sultan of Sokoto.
Wishing all a blessed Ramadan in advance.
Professor Is-haq Olanrewaju Oloyede